Sunday, August 27, 2017

Portland, Maine...Seaport, Walks, & Art Galleries

View from Portland Seafood Company

I've either been to or lived in several north shore communities in Massachusetts (Salem, Manchester by the SeaGloucester, Newburyport, and Rockport), so this summer I traveled to Portsmouth, New Hampshire and now Portland, Maine to see other New England seaports.


Portland has a busy Waterfront with many eateries and shops. I stopped off at the Portland Seafood Company for a surprisingly reasonable seafood wrap with a Shipyard beer (nice!). 

Portland is a walking city like many other waterfront communities, with art galleries and tourist vendors.


Within about two hours I walked around the wharf, by the Shipyard Brewery, and along Center Street where the art galleries offer extremely pricey pieces. 




The architecture is what you might expect in many East Coast communities with a mixture of traditional structures with character and history and then very modern glass and steel apartments. 

I expected many more historical structures and less trendy buildings and tourist shops. I past through a street festival, hoping for some great, little "buys" but found high price art, jewelry and clothes. 












If you want to travel by car there are some places to park, but I took a stress free trip, the train was easy (a bus would have been less expensive), but the station is about 4 miles outside of town. A taxi ride is about $10 but I couldn't find a taxi when I wanted to leave for the station so it took a while to get one to come to main on a main street Longfellow Square. 


I was glad I saw Portland, but honestly in my opinion the seaports, wharf's and art communities on the north shore of Massachusetts are more visually attractive and the art and artwork more interesting and less expensive.


Pieces of the Berlin Wall brought to Portland

WWII Memorial with a Female 

No comments:

Post a Comment